Cengage Learning Operations Manager in Boston, Massachusetts
Cengage Learning is a leading provider of innovative teaching, learning and research solutions for the academic, professional and library markets. The company's products and services are designed to foster academic excellence and professional development, increase student engagement, improve learning outcomes and deliver authoritative information to people whenever and wherever they need it. Cengage Learning's brands include MindTap, Aplia, Brooks/Cole, Ed2Go, Delmar, Gale, Heinle, South-Western and Wadsworth, among others. With annual revenues of approximately $2 billion, the company has 5,500 employees with operations in more than 20 countries around the world.
The Global Product Management (GPM) Operations team at Cengage Learning plays a critical role in analyzing existing product development processes, workflows, and systems to identify top opportunities to evolve and streamline the end-to-end Product development process. This is a high impact, high visibility team that is tasked with evolving the product development process in a measurable way on an ongoing basis.
The Operations Manager role will define, own, and lead cross-functional efforts to analyze and identify operational improvement opportunities and then establish, refine, and maintain processes, standards, and workflows in support of all Cengage Learning Global Product Management teams. This includes conducting internal user research and critical analysis of existing Product Development practices vs. overall strategic objectives, synthesizing findings into actionable recommendations with clearly demonstrable business impact, and driving on-time execution of the highest quality. This role is a key part of a team that includes training and project management to enable end-to-end execution, implementation, governance, and efficacy analysis of the operational model. This role reports directly to the Director, GPM Operations and Training.
Sample projects include analysis of end-to-end product planning, development, launch, and support practices via employee interviews, surveys, and reviews of existing documentation; crafting, presenting, and being able to sell proposals around prioritized opportunities that streamline or innovate through process engineering, system investment, or upskilling of workforce; and identifying and assembling cross-functional teams with both the expertise and authority to rapidly execute on a project plan that you own, maintain, and are completely accountable for.
This is a full-time, on-site position located in our Boston, MA office.
• Form a deep understanding of Cengage Learning’s products, processes, systems/tools, personnel, and strategic direction.
• Identify, analyze, and present top opportunities to achieve operational efficiencies and work with upper management to fully prioritize efforts against CL Strategic Objectives.
• Deliver quantifiable changes/savings to the organization via implementation of operational efficiencies.
• Manage logistics and personnel needed to execute on the above.
• Maintain a constant feedback loop with Cengage Learning Leadership, primary stakeholders, and consumers of the processes.
• Streamline/create/maintain process and standards documentation.
• Collaborate closely with Training and Project Management parts of team to facilitate and measure efficacy of implementation.
• Consult on major, cross-functional efforts as a representative of GPM around such topics as evaluating new partners, systems, or product models.
• BA/BS degree.
• 5+ year related experience.
• Demonstrated success with conducting data analysis and applying findings to support actionable recommendations.
• Demonstrated success with managing logistics/project management of complex initiatives with multiple stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to think creatively and critically to identify new opportunities to quantifiably impact organizational change.
• Demonstrated writing and verbal presentation skills enabling her/him to prepare and present (often complex) information and recommendations to a diverse and often senior audience.
• Collaborative problem solving and working style to drive change through influence.
• Able to self-manage progress against milestones and deliverables with a high degree of accountability and personal urgency.
• Direct experience and formal training in an operational efficiency discipline, such as Six Sigma, Agile, or Lean.
• Experience directly managing & mentoring individual contributors
• Experience successfully navigating and driving change in complex organizations.
• Experience with Sharepoint and/or creation of databases and wikis.
• Experience with digital content curation and management.
Cengage Learning is an equal opportunity employer, committed to attracting and retaining a talented and diverse workforce. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
Job Locations US-MA-Boston
Posted Date 2 months ago
Requisition ID 2017-3659
Job Function Non Sales/Marketing